- A Level
- Entry requirements: GCSE Grade 4 in an Art & Design subject (GCSE Textiles an advantage)
- Goes well with: Art, Food, English Literature, Drama
This course provides an in-depth and detailed exploration of Textiles within the field of Art & Design. The course requires enthusiasm, hard work, artistic flair and the ability to work independently.
Personal Portfolio (60%)
- Incorporates three major elements: supporting studies, practical work, and a personal study.
- Supporting studies and practical work will comprise a portfolio of development work and outcomes based on themes and ideas developed from personal starting points.
- The personal study will be evidenced through critical written communication showing contextual research and understanding in a minimum 1000 words of continuous prose, which may contain integrated images.
Externally Set Assignment (40%)
- Incorporates two major elements: preparatory studies and the 15–hour period of sustained focus.
- Preparatory studies will comprise a portfolio of practical and written development work based on the Externally Set Assignment.
- During the 15–hour period of sustained focus under examination conditions, students will produce final outcome(s) extending from their preparatory studies in response to the Externally Set Assignment.
Degree subjects – textiles, art and design, fashion, textile design, printing, theatre design/studies, costume design.
Possible careers – fashion designer, textiles designer, theatre/film designer, costume designer, artist, interior designer.
"I chose textiles because it allows me to develop my design skills focused on my areas of interest. It allows me freedom of choice and freedom of expression as well as time to reflect on my direction and progress."